How do XLPE power cables work?
These insulated cables work on the principle of cross-linking. This refers to the effect produced by vulcanization of rubber. A few chemical additives are added to the polymer so that the molecular chains are cross-linked into a lattice formation; this is done by the process of extrusion. As the molecules are more closely associated with cross-linking, there is more stability when the XLPE power cables are exposed to extreme heat.
Why use XLPE power cables?
Why should you prefer XLPE power cables over other standard cables available in the Indian market? Because the XLPE power cables are
- Flexible- These cables can be used to serve to provide insulation to a wide range of voltages. These cables are more neutral to heat and hence better than thermoplastic materials. These cables have a higher current rating than PVC and other thermoplastic materials and hence can easily adapt to both normal loading and short circuits.
- Durable- XLPE power cables are tough with more thickness than PVC cables. These come with an additional external cover under the principle of BS 6622. This standard covers the construction, shape, and design of the XLPE power cables.
- Low Maintenance- Durability also means long life without high maintenance cost. The XLPE power cables are hard materials and hence the probability of wear and tear is much less than PVC or thermoplastics.
- Water Proof- XLPE power cables are made using raw material which is neutral to the humidity and tropical climate. Hence these can be used for underground cabling. Another reason for which these are used underground is, these are anti-corrosive.
- Fire Retardant- XLPE power cables are highly resistive to mechanical, electrical and thermal stresses. The XLPE power cables have uniform shock conductors and hence your employees are safe even when there is a short circuit at the site. Moreover, XLPE power cables do not turn soft, bend or change shape even when under extremely heated conditions.
- Customizable- The XLPE power cables are available in various shapes and sizes, besides the single core and three core designs. Users may even ask for a separate copper or metallic layer over the XLPE power cables for better sheath against the excess current.
What are the types of XLPE power cables?
XLPE power cables are available in various designs and hence can be used for different purposes. For example,
- Single Core XLPE power cables
These power cables are generally used at power stations. Single core XLPE power cables are lightweight and can be easily terminated, making these most compatible for power station cabling. This kind of XLPE power cables can also be used for indoor purposes, for example, at households, offices, and schools.
- Three Core XLPE power cables
These are generally used for site supplies. The triple extrusion XLPE power cables also ensure pollution free insulation; these are free from microvoids and prevents the entry of moisture into the cables.
- Four Core XLPE Power Cables
These cables are highly consistent in performance and hence are used for the main electricity supply. These are also used for earthing and unearthing purposes and also in various electrical appliances.
Ariel bunched power cables, watertight cables or stainless steel armored power cables, whatever may be your requirement, Wires and cables manufacturers are solutions to all problems.