Html stands for Hypertext Markup Language, and XML stands for Extensible Markup Language. You might not be able to understand the differences just by knowing the full form of the language.
Although these languages come under the primary language segment, they are crucial in website development and design. The HTML language focuses on how the data looks, whereas XML focuses on storing, transferring, and describing data. Are you still finding it confusing? Let’s discuss it in detail and understand the difference between both languages.
First of all, let’s understand the definition of both the language, so we know why it is useful to do their specific task.
What is HTML
Html is a primary language that can affect how the data displays on the screen. That means developers use it to change the appearance by applying it to their websites. It helps to make the data look attractive to the end-user.
Html Languages consists of tags <> in which the developer uses to mark up a website page. For example, you can mark a paragraph by simply adding <p> before writing the paragraph and </p> to report the end of it.
These tags do not get displayed on the web page but can affect the appearance of the data. Learning these tags can help you create an elegant design of web pages.
What is XML
XML helps you define the document structure, how you can store and transport it. You can create web applications and web pages with XML. It is a dynamic language that can efficiently transport the data.
Also Read: Agile Vs Waterfall: What’s The Difference?
The primary use of XML is to provide a standard method to access and interpret information, making it understandable for applications and users. It allows them to store, transmit, and display the data.
XML is a complement to HTML, where web developers use XML to store or transport the data and HTML to format and display the same data.
Advantages of HTML
- Supported by all types of browsers
- Lightweight, easy to use, and implement
- Primary coding language
- Simple to edit, as it is a plain text coding language
- Easy to mix with other languages
Disadvantage of Html
- Creates only plain and unresponsive pages
- The security feature for HTML pages is not that great
- Complexity increases for long page codes
- It takes a lot of time to code the pages.
Advantages of XML
- Extendable markup language
- XML also supports Unicode
- In XML, there is no syntax error
- Without changing the data presentation, you can store and transport data at any point with XML
- Anyone can easily understand XML data.
Disadvantages of XML
- High transportation cost due to redundancy in XML syntax when data volume is large.
- XML readability is lower than compared to other text-based formats
- XML files are heavy because of the lengthy codes.
- XML does not support arrays of any types
Primary differences between HTML and XML
- If we talk about the primary difference then both Html and XML are interrelated to each other. HTML display and describe the structure of the web page whereas XML helps to store and transfer the data.
- XML is very strict for closing tags whereas HTML is less strict.
- XML is used as a user-defined tag and HTML is used as predefined tags
- XML preserves white space whereas HTML doesn’t preserve the same.
- HTML is all about displaying the days in a static way whereas XML used to carry data and information in a dynamic way.
- HTML is a presentation language and XML is neither a presentation language nor a programming language
- XML is basically used to transport the data between the application and the database, and HTML is designing as a web-page that is meant to be rendered on the client-side.
So, these are some of the parameters which help you to understand both HTML and XML. As they are interrelated and need each other to complete the procedure. With this, we have come to the final verdict. Hope this article will help you to understand the basic difference between both the two.